what do you want to do?

cleaning (5) craft (26) DIY food (7) niftyman (4) nondairy (18) vegan (11)

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Nondairy Creamy Avocado Soup



Here's another solution to the constant challenge of making a creamy yet nondairy soup: use avocados. I just happen to have half a dozen ripe avocados and everyone loves guacamole, but here's a nice way to change it up. I have to give credit to the avocado sack, which had a soup recipe. Unfortunately I threw away that messy net of a sack, so here's the version I made up through trial and error (i.e, bleh, this soup is too thin; ugh, too thick; ah, just right).

Ingredients
3 medium-sized avocados
32-oz box of reduced sodium chicken broth
12-oz can of corn
juice and zest of 1 lime or lemon
salt to taste
cilantro and lime wedges for garnish

Puree avocados and chicken broth in a small saucepan with yes, you guessed it, my best friend the handheld immersion blender.


The pressure to make use of these beauties weighs heavily.



OK, you caught me.
I'm just pretending
to puree here because
I forgot to take a
picture--the corn has
already gone in.

Bring to a boil. Season with salt--avocados usually require a lot of salt. Add corn, lime zest, and lime juice. Serve with chopped cilantro and lime wedges. You can also add shredded chicken for a heartier soup. Makes about four servings.



Phoebe looks pleased.

1 comment: