Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Peanut-Butter Banana Pupcakes: Cupcakes for Dogs



I wanted to make Luna cupcakes for her second birthday. Last year I made her meatballs, but meatballs aren't really that special these days, as I often make them for her to top her kibble. I used simple ingredients that Luna has eaten before. I'm not sure if dogs can have baking powder or baking soda, so I used beaten egg whites as the leavener. Basically, I substituted peanut butter for oil, banana for sugar, and oats for flour. As Ina Garten would say, How bad can that be?

Ingredients

4T peanut butter
2 egg yolks
1 ripe banana
1 egg white
1/2 c oats

frosting: 1 part Greek yogurt + 1 part peanut butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Separate eggs--it's easiest to do this with cold eggs. Then let the white sit at room temperature for about half an hour before beating. Reserve 1 egg white for another use. (I usually add it to scrambled eggs.)

Beat egg whites in a standing mixer on low-medium speed until foamy. Turn up to medium-high speed until you get stiff peaks. This will take about 3 minutes.




Mash the bananas (I use a potato masher). Add peanut butter and egg yolks. Set wet ingredients aside.




Throw the oats into food processor. Process until oats resemble a course "flour."




Fold oat flour into wet ingredients. Fold beaten egg whites into batter.




Line a mini-muffin pan with paper cups. Use a small ice cream scoop to fill muffin cups with batter. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool in muffin tin for 15 minutes. Makes about 20 mini cupcakes.

I made a dozen for Luna. Then to make it more interesting for human consumption, I added 1/3c chocolate chips to the rest of the batter and ended up with 8 chocolate peanut-butter cupcakes. Caution: Chocolate is toxic to dogs, so make sure you don't mix up your cakes.






Luna (right) and her bffl Lacie (left),
hoping for more cupcakes

1 comment:

  1. . And everything is clear, thanks. http://123essay.org/ I looked through some posts and must say, they are very interesting. Best regards, essay writer.

    ReplyDelete