Saturday, May 18, 2013

Oven-Fried Chicken Recipe


You've seen those oven-fried chicken recipes, right? Sometimes they use panko for the crust, but you have to toast the panko if you want that golden-brown crust. I've tried the Neely's corn flakes method, which worked really well. But alas, I don't always have corn flakes on hand. I ransacked the cabinets and found Rice Krispies. The result? So crispy! Or I should say Krispy, haha.

Ingredients:
10 drumsticks (or thighs)
1 c flour, seasoned with salt (optional: garlic powder, dried herbs)
2 eggs, seasoned with salt
2-1/2 c Rice Krispies (crushed)
olive oil

Special equipment: Perforated pan (see photo above) or oven-safe wire rack placed over a baking sheet. This allows air flow under the chicken, creating crispy crust.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay out dredging station: 1 plate of flour, 1 plate of eggs, 1 plate of crushed Rice Krispies.

Remove the skin from the chicken. This is probably the worst part of this recipe, but if you're going through the trouble of a healthier alternative, you might as well get rid of the skin. If you are as worried about salmonella as me, you may want to use metal tongs and food-service gloves. Season "naked" (so forlorn) chicken with salt and pepper to taste.

Dust chicken piece in flour. Shake off excess. (Sorry I didn't take pictures because of the whole salmonella issue.)

Coat with egg.

Roll in Rice Krispies.

Place on slotted pan. Press down gently on the coating to ensure that it sticks. Repeat until all chicken has been coated. Sprinkle a few drops of olive oil on each piece of chicken.

Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

This was the best oven-fried chicken I've ever made. The crust really looks like the fried skin of real fried chicken. My husband didn't even know I removed the skin! I know skeptics will think no one will be fooled into thinking it's real fried chicken, but I have to say, something about the visual similarity to fried chicken and that Krispies crunch made this healthy version very satisfying. My daughter Phoebe brought a piece for lunch the next day and her friends thought she was eating fried chicken!

No comments:

Post a Comment