what do you want to do?

cleaning (5) craft (26) DIY food (7) niftyman (4) nondairy (18) vegan (11)

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Vegan Truffles


This month's issue of Bon Appetit had an article by Sarah Britton about natural sweeteners. Yes, I'm hopping on the bandwagon to cut down on refined sugar. If not for health reasons, for vanity--I like the skinny jeans! On the top of Britton's list of favorite sweeteners are dates. Oh yeah, I forgot about those guys. My husband bought me a big tub from Costco. I've been chopping them up and adding them to my morning yogurt. It's a nice change from my usual sweetener, a ripe banana. I only need about four dates though. What do I do with the rest?




Here's a recipe from Britton that's pretty good. Just to be clear, these don't have the creaminess of real truffles but the cocoa does add a nice chocolate flavor. These are great for my dairy-free Phoebe. Also, good for me seeing as skinny jeans aren't going out of style anytime soon.

from Bon Appetit magazine

Ingredients:
1-1/2 c chopped almonds (or pistachios)
1-1/2 c dates
3 T cocoa
3 T quick-cooking oats*
pinch of Kosher salt
1 T water
zest of 1 orange

*If you don't have quick-cooking oats, just puree regular rolled oats in the food processor.

Chop nuts in food processor. Set aside. Puree dates, cocoa, oats, and salt in food processor. Add water and pulse until "dough" clumps together. Stir in orange zest.




Use small cookie scoop to portion out a truffle. (Or you can use your 1 T measuring spoon.)




Roll into a ball in the palm of your hands.




Coat ball with chopped nuts.




Makes about a 12 to 20, depending on size of your scoop.


No comments:

Post a Comment