what do you want to do?

cleaning (5) craft (26) DIY food (7) niftyman (4) nondairy (18) vegan (11)

Friday, May 25, 2012

Nondairy Lime Bars


My husband brought home a big bag of limes on his last trip to Costco. I probably should have refrigerated them but I dropped the ball. Today I noticed the skin of some of them were looking dry and yellow. I use limes for guacamole, dressings, and marinades but I wondered if I could make a dessert. Key lime pie immediately comes to mind. Too bad it usually involves condensed milk and cream cheese, which Phoebe can't have. I decided to adapt a great lemon bar recipe from joyofbaking.com and make lime bars. The filling is custard (or egg based) instead of cream-cheese based. I was conservative with the lime juice because my husband cannot handle super-tart food. His face turns red and he starts to sweat. I used a graham cracker crust instead of a shortbread crust because A) we have graham crackers, and B) key lime pie usually has a graham cracker crust.

Ingredients:
9 sheets of graham crackers
3 T grapeseed oil (or vegetable oil)
3 eggs
3/4 c sugar
zest of 2 limes
1/3 c lime juice (about 2 limes)
2 T flour

Make crust: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Break graham cracker along perforated lines and break each of those in half. Grind crackers into fine crumbs in a food processor. Add oil and pulse until crumbs look like wet sand. (I'm afraid I failed to take a picture of this step. I'll take one next time I make a graham cracker crust.) Empty crumb mixture into foil-lined 8" x 8" square pan. Spread out crumbs evenly across bottom of pan. Press into pan with the back of a spoon. Then press again with your fingers. Your crust should be tightly packed. Bake for about 10 min. Let cool completely on rack.




Make filling: Turn oven temperature up to 350 degrees. Whisk eggs with sugar. Whisk in lime zest and juice.




Sift in flour and whisk.




Pour filling over graham cracker crust. Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool on cooling rack.




Makes 16 small squares. Dust with powdered sugar.




As you can see the result is more firm than a custard, because of the flour. Not at all like key lime pie but we'll suffer through this batch and experiment with soy cream cheese next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment