Sunday, April 22, 2012

Non-Dairy Lemon Curd

Whenever we go to my sister's house, my brother-in-law lets my kids harvest lemons from his tree. We always leave with a huge bag of lemons. Phoebe named this one Biggie:


We had so many lemons last weekend that I finally made lemon curd. I used to bypass lemon curd, because of the butter. But then I thought what if I just leave out the butter? I do that when I make pudding for Phoebe. Would the fat in the eggs and flavor of fresh lemons be satisfying enough?

Adapted from joyofbaking.com

Ingredients:
3 large eggs
1/2 c sugar
juice of 2 lemons
zest of 1 lemon

Fill a small saucepan about a third full with water and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, whisk eggs, sugar, and lemon juice in a heatproof bowl, such as Pyrex or glass. Your bowl should be slightly larger than the diameter of the saucepan, as the bowl will rest on the rim of the pan. If you have a double boiler, use that.




Turn water down to a simmer. Place bowl over saucepan, such that water is not touching the bottom of bowl.




Whisk egg mixture until it thickens. This will take about 10 minutes. If your mixture is still not thick by 10 minutes, turn your stove up slightly. The first time I made this, I was getting worried when, by the 8 minute mark, still nothing. And then magically, it thickened! This time nothing by the 10 minute mark so I just turned it up to medium and it thickened so rapidly that I had to turn it off. If you get impatient and turn it up, just make sure you keep whisking so your eggs don't scramble.




Strain lemon curd into a clean bowl.




Stir in lemon zest.




Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of lemon curd.




Refrigerate for at least an hour. Makes about 1-1/2 cups.




This tastes so delicious on toast or as a pie filling. If you live with someone who misses the butter, just butter the toast and then top with the lemon curd.


1 comment: