what do you want to do?

cleaning (5) craft (26) DIY food (7) niftyman (4) nondairy (18) vegan (11)

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Vegan Chocolate Cake

This chocolate cake comes together easily--and it happens to be vegan! The first time I made this in an 8" x 8" brownie pan as a last-minute addition to a not-so-impressive weeknight dinner. My family finished it before I could even snap a picture! Today we had leftover morning coffee, so I made cupcakes. As usual, I made some substitutions to make it dairy free, but it's also egg free so even if you're allergic to eggs or you just don't have any eggs in the house, you can still have your cake!




Adapted from joyofbaking.com

Ingredients:
1-1/2 c flour
3/4 c sugar
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa (I used plain old Hershey's)
1 t baking powder
3/4 t baking soda
pinch of salt
1 t cinnamon

1/4 c + 2 T vegetable oil (I used extra light olive oil)
1 c warm coffee
1 T lemon juice
1 t vanilla extract

Whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.




Whisk the wet ingredients in a measuring cup.




Pour the wet into the dry and combine. I just use the whisk in a gentle folding motion and try to resist overmixing.




Fill muffin tin (or 8" x 8" square brownie pan). Bake for 20 minutes (or 30 minutes if using brownie pan). Frost with Vegan Chocolate Frosting:

http://niftynest.blogspot.com/2012/03/chocolate-vegan-frosting.html




No comments:

Post a Comment