what do you want to do?

cleaning (5) craft (26) DIY food (7) niftyman (4) nondairy (18) vegan (11)

Friday, February 3, 2012

Nondairy Lemon Thyme Cornbread



My husband always knows something is up with the dinner when he comes home and smells baked goods. Whenever I'm insecure about my dinner, I bolster it with dessert or, in this case, a baked good that also works as a side for my split pea soup. This bread combines savory and sweet. Many recipes combine olive oil, lemon, and thyme. I found that most of them use an appalling amount of oil. After years of baking with oil, I've found that you usually need less of it than butter. Maybe my lemon juice reacted with the almond milk and created a buttermilk that helped make the bread tender. In any case, the bread disappeared without any complaints about dryness.

Ingredients:
1 c flour
3/4 c corn meal (fine ground)
1/2 c sugar
2t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
zest of 1 lemon
fresh thyme
1/4 olive oil
1 egg
1/2 c almond milk
juice of 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. I used about a dozen sprigs of thyme but you can add more if you like. Whisk wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and combine. Mixture should be lumpy. Resist the urge to over-mix. Pour into parchment-lined loaf pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment