what do you want to do?

cleaning (5) craft (26) DIY food (7) niftyman (4) nondairy (18) vegan (11)

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Melted Crayon Art: Using Old Crayons

Have you seen the crayon art on Pinterest? I don't know who originated the idea, but here's a link to an artist selling one on Etsy:


It looked like a fun project, but then it seemed so wasteful to buy a new box of sixty-four Crayola crayons to melt. I also couldn't think of a place to hang this rainbow art except maybe a kid's room, and my kids are too old for that. Then I thought, Hey, we have a huge box of old crayons. Why not make use of those? Instead of using the whole rainbow of colors, we chose a limited palette. I went with a sunset-inspired theme, Chloe chose mostly purples, and Phoebe stuck to blues. Here's how my version turned out:



I want to go back and add more yellow and melt down some of the bigger pieces of crayon but doing it this way--instead of the original way of only affixing the crayons to the top of the canvas--took a lot of time. I don't really want to see or smell crayons for a while. Here's the easy how-to:

Materials:
Canvas
Old crayons
Glue gun
Hairdryer

Step 1: Peel the paper from the crayon.

Step 2: Choose your color scheme.

Step 3: Lay down a line of glue.

Step 4: Affix crayon. Repeat.

Step 5: Melt crayons with hairdryer.


Some tips:
Do it outside! Unless you are very adept at controlling your hairdryer, the melted crayon drips and splatters in unpredictable directions.


Use the hot and high setting of the hairdryer. Lean the hairdryer on the edge of the canvas. You need to be that close to the crayon to melt it. Otherwise, you'll have to wait a long time before anything happens.


Lean the canvas on a step stool to create a slight incline so the crayon can drip down the canvas.


Take breaks. It helps to stop and look at how the crayons are melting. I covered only part of my canvas to begin. Then I added more crayon pieces after I got an idea of how the colors ran into each other.


You might want to start with lighter colors. We found the melted purple crayons looked too dark and muddied the other colors.


If you spread the crayons out like we did, break them up into small pieces. We found a lot of whole crayons in the middle or bottom of the canvas were not only awkward to melt with a bulky hairdryer but also just ran off the canvas.

1 comment:

  1. That is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. I'd like to try this with my kids :)

    ReplyDelete