Sunday, December 4, 2011

Non-Dairy Whipped Topping

Desperate for a non-dairy whipped topping, I decided to give whipping coconut milk a try. I found an unsweetened coconut milk (A Taste of Thai brand) at Target for under $3. Not sure if that's a good price but it saved me a trip to Whole Foods. The ingredients include coconut milk, water, and guar gum. Most recipes recommend refrigerating the coconut milk overnight but I was impatient.

Put can in freezer for about half an hour.
For some reason the label was upside down.
Your can opener will figure it out.

Thick "cream" should rise to the top.

Scoop out thick white part only. Leave water behind.

Beat with handheld mixer.

Looks promising. Add powdered sugar to taste.

Wow! Whips up in less than a minute.

Voila!
I didn't look at the contents of the can before sticking it in the freezer so I'm not sure if it's already nice and thick because of the fat in the coconut. Maybe the guar gum helped, too. You can just open the can and take a peek. If it looks thick, it's ready to whip.

Verdict: If you like the taste of coconut, this works great! Too bad Phoebe and I don't like the strong coconut taste. The search for a non-dairy whipped topping continues. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment