what do you want to do?

cleaning (5) craft (26) DIY food (7) niftyman (4) nondairy (18) vegan (11)

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Nondairy Creamy Corn Soup

My mom used to dress up canned tomato soup and canned cream of corn with an egg flower. Of course she also managed to work a full-time job and serve three different Chinese dishes on a weeknight. On most nights, I'm proud of myself if I have a slow-cooker meal waiting at home when we get back from dance. The other day Phoebe was off from school and asked for a hot lunch of creamy corn soup. She had watched us all eat a corn soup with dairy at Curry House over the weekend, while she had none. OK, now I felt bad. Not bad enough to go to the grocery store though. Here's what I came out with from things in my pantry and refrigerator.

Three simple ingredients: corn, chicken broth, egg

Step 1: Puree drained corn.
 
Step 2: Add to saucepan.
Step 3: Add chicken broth.
Step 4: Add drained corn.
Step 5: Crack egg into broth can, beat,
and set aside.
Step 6: Bring soup to a boil.
Step 7: Add egg to boiling soup
and immediately turn off heat.
Secret to billowy egg flower: don't stir!
Creamy soup without the cream! 

No comments:

Post a Comment