Thursday, December 29, 2011

DIY Mustache Mug


Desperate for a stocking stuffer for my husband, I searched online for a mustache mug. I tried urbanoutfitters.com but they were sold out. Next, I tried cafepress.com. They had some, but I would have to pay an additional $21 for next-day shipping. Ouch! Wait a minute, what am I doing? I can make this myself. Better yet, I would delegate this project to Chloe & Phoebe. We used some Crate and Barrel coffee cups we had in our cabinet.

Step 1. Freehand mustache with a washable marker.
If you make a mistake, just wipe it off and start over.

Step 2. Once you're happy with your mustache,
trace outline with a Sharpie.

Step 3. Color in mustache with Sharpie.

Step 4. Take out porcelain paint, available at Michaels.

Step 5. Apply porcelain paint.

The Pebeo porcelain paint will make the mustache dishwasher safe. Follow the directions on the jar of paint: Let paint dry for 24 hours. Bake in 300-degree oven for 35 minutes.

Some tips:
  • Make sure you consider whether the cup user is left-handed or right. Chloe accidentally made a mug for a leftie.
  • If you decide to make a bushy mustache, have a fine-tipped paint brush on hand. Phoebe lost a lot of the details of her mustache because our brush was too thick.
  • Check your paint for drips within the 24 hours of drying time. We hid the mugs in Chloe's room so Allen wouldn't see them. Luckily, we checked them and wiped off drips before the paint dried completely.


So cute! Every time someone uses one of these coffee cups, I get a good chuckle. Now I want to make a mug for Allen to take to work. And one for me. Maybe one for my dad. Mustache mugs for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment