what do you want to do?

cleaning (5) craft (26) DIY food (7) niftyman (4) nondairy (18) vegan (11)

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Nondairy Biscotti, Part Deux: Cappuccino Biscotti

So my husband and I were playing what my dad calls "polite friends" one morning. We both wanted the extra coffee but we decided to sacrifice for the other.

"There's a bit of extra coffee if you want to top off," I said.

"No, go ahead. You take it," he said.

"No, any extra will screw up my milk-to-coffee ratio. So you have it." I refused to be the schmuck who took the extra coffee.

In the end, the coffee sat, forgotten. The result? I made cappuccino biscotti.

Adapted from joyofbaking.com

Ingredients:
2 c flour
1 t baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 c sugar
1 egg
1/3 c espresso or strong coffee, cooled
1 t vanilla
1/2 c slivered almonds
1/2 c chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl. Beat egg together with coffee and vanilla. Slowly pour wet ingredients into dry until a dough forms, adding almonds and chocolate chips halfway through the process. Divide dough in half and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Shape each half into 2" x 10" loaf. Use plastic wrap so you don't have to touch the sticky dough with your bare hands.

Bake for about 35 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees. Slice loaves on a diagonal into 1/2"-thick pieces. Return to baking sheet and toast for 5 minutes. Flip them over and toast another 5 minutes.

Yield: About 24 biscotti.



Sorry, I couldn't get a beauty shot of a biscotti perched on the saucer of a cup of coffee, because my family gobbled these up.

No comments:

Post a Comment